Applicants will normally have a degree in music or in some circumstances a related subject with significant music content and industry related experience will be considered. Candidates will need to demonstrate that they have considered how to develop their subject knowledge in the National Curriculum requirements for music, especially where topics have not been covered by their degree. Along with an awareness of educational issues, a desire to excite, stimulate and engage young people from 11-18 with the possibilities and pleasures open to them in studying music is a good starting point for an application.
Subject Sessions normally take place at Severn Vale School, Quedgeley, Gloucester on a Thursday afternoon. There are also visits to other schools that offer different examination routes or have excellent facilities, for example in music technology, Musical Futures, vocational pathways, etc.
|Cotswold Teaching School Partnership (School Direct)|
|Hereteach Alliance (School Direct)|
Omar KhokherSevern Vale School
Omar Khokher is an experienced teacher who has been Subject Leader for Performing Arts at Severn Vale School since 2010. He has been involved in initial teacher training in several capacities for many years, and has been the Music Subject Leader for GITEP since 2013.
Bursaries available: £4,000–£9,000*
*subject to NCTL conditions (call 01242 505945 for more information).
- A UK first degree (or equivalent) in Music or, in some circumstances, a related subject with significant music content.
- Maths and English at Grade C or above at GCSE. (Note: an equivalency test is available from the university.)
- Successful completion of the Get Into Teaching Skills Test. We recommend you review GITEP’s Skills Tests Procedure for 2016 Entry.
- Degree at 2:2 or above.
- Involvement with young people, e.g., coaching, youth club.
- Recent connections with Secondary education.
- Recent involvement in Music societies, clubs, etc.
- An awareness of issues in Music education.